The end :(

 What a semester of books this has been. This class has been lovely and I wish I could take it again next year. It was my favourite of the semester and going to classes and discussing the books was such a blast. Really enjoyed getting to hear everyone’s thoughts on the books we read, and I would have to say my most memorable discussion class was with Nadja. Now, my favourite book this semester was Time of the Doves. The story was so fun to read and I loved seeing the development of Natalia’s character and her journey to happiness. Second place would have to go to my favourite lizard, Eulálio, in the Book of Chameleons. The idea of a gecko narrator was enough for this book to be in my top spots. Best character also goes to Eulálio, and the least, most awful, I really didn't like this guy, award goes to Quimet. Now book awards aside, this class has really broadened my perspective of literature. Before taking RMST, I had never really explored literature outside of what I was comfortable with (usually a silly little romance book). That’s why I was really surprised to find out how much I enjoyed the books this semester and the themes of love, family, death that they handled. I mostly loved how original each and every story was. Every time I started one of the books, I really wasn’t sure what I was gonna get and how the book was going to make me feel. Was it going to be an exciting heist? A memorable love story? It made me learn to love the idea of reading more books in this style. I have really cherished how much I have been able to learn with this class. It has exposed me to books from across the globe, translated from various different languages. It's really amazing to see how much books can evolve from an author's vision. Translations can change words and flow of sentences and every single reader will build and interpret the story differently in their mind. These different interpretations of books are what made our class discussions so enjoyable and refreshing. Hearing what people had to say in class always made me tell myself “why didn’t I think of that!”. Anyways, one last thing before my final parting words, I would like to nominate the blog with the emoji stories as number 1 blog. Finally, I must say that I can’t recommend this class enough and a big thank you to Dr. Beasley and the TAs for putting so much care and effort into the material.

I hope you all enjoy your summer! 

Comments

  1. Thanks for your post. I didn't read the Book of Chameleons and hearing that it has a gecko narrator makes me want to read it now! The fact that every book in this course is translated is also quite interesting to consider, and I hadn't thought about it in a while before reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabrielle, I'm glad you enjoyed the course! I'm pleased that it's helped to broaden your perspective on literature, and not least literature in translation from (as you say) around the world. Oh, and I've just seen your nomination! Will do!

    Thanks for all your contributions, and have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gabrielle, I enjoyed reading your blog, Time of the Doves was one of my favourite books also! Like you, I did not like Quimet. My outlook on literature was very different before I took this course and I am glad I took it because I am a stronger reader now!
    Have a great summer!
    -Sofia Almerling

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Book Made Me Hate Men Called “Quimet” - The Time of the Doves

Cause when you’re fifteen -The Lover